Altar servers perform an invaluable service to the community. They help the liturgy flow seamlessly and enrich the prayer experience of the community of faith by their own personal witness, commitment and prayerful attitude.
Children who have made their First Holy Communion can serve. If you are interested, e-mail us at email@example.com
Important points to remember if you are already an altar server
- Try to arrive 15 minutes before the beginning of Mass. Once Mass is started you do not sneak in from the back of the Church, you attend Mass with the rest of the people.
- Always keep a prayerful attitude. You do not want to be a distraction to others.
- If you make a mistake, do not panic, learn your lesson and try not to do it in the future.
- Never rush or run, take your time to walk from one place to the other.
- If you carry the cross, thurible, boat or candles you do not genuflect when you approach the Altar.
- The Altar is not meant to be used as a table. Do not place the cruets on it.
- Especially during the Offertory, pay attention to the indications of the priest. It may happen that something is missing and he asks you to get it for him.
- If you have to say something to another server or somebody else, be discreet and whisper, do not talk out loud.
- Familiarize yourself with the work of the sacristan and the location of things in the sacristy.
- Above all, be relaxed and enjoy your service at Mass. You are rendering a most valuable service that is greatly appreciated by the priests and the community at large. You are assisting in the most important event in the entire world, the celebration of the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ!